Biking is another great (and green) way for students, faculty and staff to get around campus. Beyond our campus, the rail trail is a great way to explore Morgantown and the surrounding area by bike. The rail trail also allows you to travel between the Downtown and Evansdale areas of campus.
Biking on Campus
With a little biking know-how, you can easily get around campus and park your bike at one of the many bike locations in between stops. View the campus maps to see bike rack locations.
Wear a Helmet
By Morgantown city law, you are required to wear a helmet. Wearing a helmet can make a major difference in the severity of injuries sustained in accidents.
Maintain Your Bike
Check and maintain your bicycle regularly. To avoid steering problems, minor breakdowns and comfort issues, check your tire pressure, alignment and seat cushion.
Make Yourself Known
Never assume a driver or pedestrian can see you. Wear bright clothing and mount a bell to your bike to alert people that you are coming near them. Or, shout it out!
Make your movements known and predictable while following the rules of the road.
- Ride with traffic, not against it.
- Scan all directions at intersections.
- Pay attention to stop signs and red lights even when running late.
- Use sidewalks with caution. Drivers don’t expect you at an intersection, so be ready to yield to turning cars.
- Ride at a reasonable speed even if you are running late.
- Ride four feet out from parked cars to avoid being hit with a door.
- Keep hands clear of books or notebooks while you ride. Use a backpack, rack or basket. This is a leading cause of crashes.
Riding a bicycle requires skill, coordination and your full attention. When you are inebriated, you compromise all of these. To avoid an incident or a ticket for being intoxicated, do not sip and cycle.
Lock it Up
Most bike racks are highly visible to the public, so lock your bike to avoid theft. You can also get an extra long chain that you can weave into the tires to avoid a run away wheel. All other valuables should be placed in your bag and taken with you.
- WVU Outdoor Recreation Bike Rentals
- Mon River Trail
- Morgantown DIY Outdoors
- Morgantown Biking Trails
- Morgantown Bicycle Board
- Greater Morgantown RackSpotter